Park Ridge Public Library
The Park Ridge Public Library opened its doors on December 6, 1913. The first library was built on the corner of Prospect Ave. and Northwest Highway. Funds from the Carneige Foundation helped pay for construction of the two story library. The building still stands on this corner and is now home to several local businesses.
As the community grew a new library was needed and voters approved a referendum to build a new library near the original site. In 1956-57 a new Library was built on the corner of Touhy and Prospect Avenues on the site of the old Central School.
In 1977 an addition was built that doubled the size of the library and the address and main entrance were changed from 515 W. Touhy to 20 S. Prospect Ave.
The present library is 36,000 square feet and holds a collection of over 200,000 items. The library offers free wi-fi, year round programs for all ages and comfortable places to read, study and gather.
Throughout 2013 the Library will celebrate its 100th Anniversary with a variety of programs and events.